Sunday, November 15, 2015

Pure - Leviticus 7

I really hate the lighting in the restrooms at work. The bright, white fluorescence shows every little wrinkle, age spot, freckle and blemish on my face. The brighter the light, the more is revealed. The same is true with God. The brightness of his holiness illuminates my blemished, all too human heart.



The rules for the priest listed in Leviticus helped the ancient Jews understand the holiness of God. His holiness was equated to purity and there were strict guidelines for the priest, the congregant, the sacrifice and the community related to purity (cleanliness). If these guidelines were not adhered to a person could be removed from their community. A little bit of dirt, makes the whole thing dirty.

God is the same today as He was thousands of years ago. He is still just as holy and pure. I don't ever want to become so casual in my relationship that I am not gripped by the awesome purity of my God's holiness. A little bit of dirt? When's the last time I even thought about the dirt on the souls of my shoes when entering to his prescense in prayer and worship.  Have I made God small?  Have I become so casual to think that the light of white bright holiness would not burn a hole right through this wretched soul.

Thank you Jesus for standing in that gap.  You were the sacrifice and you are my righteousness.  I cannot come before the Father without you!

Leviticus 7:20
But if anyone who is unclean eats any meat of the fellowship offering belonging to the Lord, that person must be cut off from his people.

Leviticus 7:21 
If anyone touches something unclean...that person must be cut off from his people.

Holy, holy, holy Lord God Almighty
Early in the morning my song shall rise to thee
Holy, holy, holy there is none beside thee
Who were and are and evermore shall be.

No comments:

Post a Comment