Sunday, November 15, 2015

Grain Offerings...Shhh Don't Tell Anyone Leviticus 6

The offerings were voluntary, costly and given "in memoriam" -- It almost makes me wish when I go to God I could give him something as a "Thank You" as I remember his goodness. I know I give him praise, my heart, etc. but the idea of a tangible thing being brought as a thank you gift is appealing to me.

No yeast was allowed if the grain offering was in the form of a baked good -- Yeast usually symbolizes sin so purity is once again emphasized. How pure is my gratitude? How wonderful to be a follower of Christ so that my purity comes from his life and sacrifice and not my own stumbling acorny life.

It required salt if it were a baked good -- Jesus mentions salt and its importance. My guess is salt was probably symbolic in more ways than I understand in their culture. It's a common everyday item now, but then it was a precious commodity. So it was costly. These rituals are so interesting to me. The symbolism they contain would have been so palpable. I'm not sure there is any equivalent for the Grain Offering in modern day Christianity. The closest I can think of is the admonition to perform acts of service in secret. The discipline of secrecy then becomes an offering of gratitude to God that only you and he know about and it cost you something.

No comments:

Post a Comment