Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Numbers From A Sky View


Wah! Wah! Wah! Complain, Complain, Complain.... This is all the Israelites seemed to be doing on their trek to freedom to a "promised land". Yet with this enticing destination in mind they automatically began complaining about EVERYTHING. Complaints are not necessarily bad, in and of themselves. If an egregious situation occurs complaining through the proper chancels can bring positive results.
But usually a "complaint' turns into gossip with others and eventually an emotional separation from the promise.

It's easy to sit in judgment of the Israelites. Surely, they expected more from their liberation pursuit than hunger, draught, thirst, and running in fear of the Egyptian army pursuing them. They certainly deserved better; after all they were the chosen of God.

There were about the population of the city of Columbus, Ohio of disappointed folks. Then God says, "I've had it! Oh, you'll get to the promised land because I promised, BUT not one of the original refugees will lay your eyes upon it! Instead I am going to lead you on a circuitous route taking a generation's life time. The new generation will inherit the Promised Land, live there and prosper.

I look at my own life and wonder how many times I have doubted God and his promises for me? I know I question the path my life is taking far too many times! There is the promise of a future with God as my strength, my shield, my ever present Father in times of danger. Yet, I complain. I complain too much. It makes me wonder how many times God has led me the long way around just to teach me a lesson. I wonder how many times I have dismissed the next generation's wisdom supplanting with my own superiority because I know better! When all along God was saying, look, listen, heed to what I am challenging the next generation of Saints.

Before beginning any serious study of the Bible,  I need to remember that because I "know" scripture, God, Doctrine, Treatise, Dogma, I must stay in tune with what new thing my Father is doing. I must stay fresh and open to the newness of what the next generation has to say.

God never tires of the beautiful sunsets he creates. He is never bored because each daisy he causes to bloom looks just like the one before it.  He is never bothered by someone asking "why?". God does not mind watching the same physics laws he created be played out in life just as he planned. God who is eternal, is much younger than I. (Somebody smarter than me said the gist of this, I just can't remember who otherwise their beautiful quote would be here.)

May I always be open to newness and fresh ideas. May the song "Amazing Grace" never loose it's meaning no matter how many times I have sung it. May I be willing to learn an amazing new song from a young artist God has gifted.

May I remain forever young in my father's eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment