Sunday, September 27, 2015

6- Jehovah Mekkoddishkom (I am the LORD who sanctifies thee) by Pastor Sam Blakely

Jehovah-Mekkoddishken
Exodus 32:12-13

I am the Lord that sanctifies you.

The names of our God can and should become special friends to us, once we learn them and use them in our prayer time with our Lord Jesus.



For example:
A.  Jehovah - The Self-existent God
      Exodus 3:13-15
13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.
15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

B.  El-Shaddai - the all-sufficient God or the Lord God Almighty.
Genesis 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

C.  Jehovah-Jireh - The Lord God our provider.
Genesis 22:7-8
7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

D.  Jesus-Emmanuel - God with us, or our wonderful counselor.
Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

But this name which is not so familiar to us is:  Jehovah-Mekoddishkem -- The Lord who sanctifies you.


1.  Exodus 19:2-6
2 For they were departed from Rephidim, and were come to the desert of Sinai, and had pitched in the wilderness; and there Israel camped before the mount.
3 And Moses went up unto God, and the Lord called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

In other words, God is saying to Israel, "I saved you Israel, by my mighty hand.  I redeemed you, and now you are a set apart people.  You belong to me."
1.  Exodus 31:12-17
12 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.
14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was

Notice the phrase in verse 13 -- "that you may know that I am Jehovah Mekoddishkem, the Lord that sanctifies you."

Is not that the very words He tells us today?  I Thessalonians 4:1-4
1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
 
3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

St. Paul tells us that we are sanctified by God the Holy Spirit.  Romans 15:16  That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

In John 17:17 we are told we are sanctified by the truth of God's words.

In I Thessalonians 5:23 St. Paul tells us that the very God of peace sanctifies us wholly.  That our whole spirit, soul, and body may be blameless at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.

In I Timothy 4:5 that the very food we eat is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
To sanctify means to be made holy.
A.  Greek: Hagiasmos -- it means to become separated to God which is initial sanctification.
1.  I Corinthians 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

2.  II Thessalonians 2:13  But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

3.  I Peter 1:2  Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Sanctification also describes the course of life we are to be living.
1.  I Thessalonians 4:3-4
3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:
4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;



2.  Romans 6:19-22
19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

3.  Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

St. Paul tells us that God desires to establish our hearts unblamable in holiness.
1.  I Thessalonians 3:13  To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.

Which is entire sanctification, taken from the Greek word "Holokeros", which means to become complete and sound in every area of your life.

The term progressive sanctification comes from the Greek word, "Holokeria" which means to continuously grow in grace unto maturity.
1.  Acts 3:16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

2.  James 1:4-5
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Also, we find the Hebrew word "Shalom" meaning not only peace, but also wholeness or to be made perfect.
1.  Genesis 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

2.  II Peter 3:14  Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

In closing:  I personally believe every believer in Christ Jesus needs to discover Jehovah-Mekoddishkem -- The Lord who sanctifies us -- in our every day walk with our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you for allowing me to teach these lessons to each of you. May God always bless and keep you forever, until He comes for us.

Pastor Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment